Filed under News, Top Stories

Powwow increases All Nations visibilty and unites South community

The All Nations program hosted a powwow this past Friday, May 8th. Activities took place on the practice field next to South from 12:30-3:30 pm with many students, teachers, faculty, and often full classrooms in attendance.

“Last year was the first powwow All Nations has hosted since the 90’s,” Breanna Green, a sophomore All Nations student who helped organize the event, explained. “Nothing was being done to bring together All Nations.”

This event helped to unite and amplify All Nations’ American Indian student voices and culture in a positive and fun way. The frybread tnd sugarbush tables, small lacrosse games, drum circles, dancing, and multiple other activities kept South community members constantly entertained and engaged.

Senior All Nations student Joey Hill sat near the drum circle to watch the dancing and competitions. “This is a little competition where people dance with a potato between their heads,” Hill said pointing to two girls who managed to hop, skip, jump, and dance while a potato balanced between their foreheads. “[The announcer] tries and gives you challenges like jumping and spinning around to make you drop [the potato].”

After the winner of the potato balancing competition was declared the announcer began the transition into the Grass Dance honoring All Nations’ senior boys. A Grass Dance is traditionally done by men and is considered more elaborate than Traditional dances. Garments feature long fringe and designs meant to resemble grass blowing in the wind.

Music during this, and many other dances, was performed by the Thunderbird Singers. While there were multiple drums, most music was led by a group of men surrounding the host drum. A host drum is observed with respect and one is present at every powwow.

While the Thunderbird Singers continued to play, Senior All Nations student Sierra Villberun explained that everyone was invited to dance during the tribal song. “I just hope this makes people aware of our culture and brings people together.”

Eleanor Noble, Editor-in-Chief, web

Howdy. My name is Eleanor Noble and I’ve finally made it to my fourth, and gym credits allowing, final year here at good ole South. I’ve spent my high...