New independent music venue Cloudland opens on East Lake Street

Lou Glatt

A new business in South Minneapolis, Cloudland Theater, solves the lack of local music venues throughout the South Minneapolis neighborhood. Ever since the closing of the Hexagon bar, a music venue and bar, there has been a void for local artists that has needed to be filled. Their first official show was on October 4th, 2023, showcasing multiple independent artists. They aim to offer a space for people in the community to consistently watch and perform music.

Maren and Brad are the co-owners of Cloudland Theater. Maren and Brad have been musicians around Minneapolis for a long time. Not only did they think a new, small, independent venue in the neighborhood would be beneficial for the community, but that it is also the next way they could participate in the music scene. “I’m not 25 anymore.” says Maren, “It’s harder to go on tour and play shows. To be able to host other peoples shows and music and be active that way, and give people a place to do their thing, is really what we were dreaming of.” As an independent business, they started with nothing but love for music and a lot of hard work.

Cloudland showcases a wide range of music and artists. Maren described the music shown at Cloudland as “Independent music”. Many different genres are played at Cloudland, from pop punk to experimental noise to traditional hardcore, ska, and many others. There’s not a genre they’d turn away, they focus more on showcasing independent artists. Maren exclaims; “Good interesting music, by good interesting people, for good interesting people.” 

Maren speaks on the success of the business so far, “The level of musicianship and talent I’m able to see on a really regular basis on a stage that we designed and built hits me everyday, it’s so incredible. I really hope that we can continue to do these amazing diverse shows where there’s a progressive noise band one night and a string quartet the next day then a singer song-writer from texas the following day.”

Every other Sunday at 2pm, Cloudland holds a jazz showing. They showcase different independent artists during each show. The max capacity is around 50, but turnout is still good. Maren says the audience and genre of shows is very diverse. The jazz shows create a quiet and calm environment while punk shows are loud and lively. The diverse options cater to all audiences and tastes. 

There are a good number of upcoming shows that are expected to have a large turnout, which Maren says she is really looking forward to. Some upcoming shows include Glitterer in March, The Reds Pinks and Purples, The Scrunchies and many more that can be found on their website or instagram.

Although there are a large number of all ages shows, for any show a valid ID must be shown. Student ID’s, permits, and licenses, are accepted. All ages shows are listed clearly on their website and Instagram. People under 21 are not able to go to 21+ shows, but people under 18 are able to bring their legal guardian to get into 18+ shows. An ID must be brought to get into shows that are not all ages.  “It kills me to turn away people” says Maren, but it is the law.

Maren says, “So far everyone has been really respectful, it’s a beautiful space and we’d like to keep it that way. I hope people can come and be respectful to each other, respectful to the music, and to our space.”