Upcoming school board candidates focus on achievement gap and graduation requirements

Eva Shellabarger, Staff Writer

Two At Large (representative of the whole district) and three district candidates will be elected to the school board this November. The achievement gap and graduation requirements are among the biggest topics being discussed, two issues that greatly affect South students.

Ultimately, the decisions the school board makes have their biggest effects on students. South social studies teacher Douglas Berglund said participating in local government is “good practice to learn how to get involved in an appropriate way”.

“I think its really relevant and important for students to come and share their thoughts” said school board member Jenny Arneson. There are many opportunities for students to offer their voice and learn how the district’s system works. School board meetings occur around twice a month, and they can be viewed in person or online through a livestream. Public comments are accepted every month.
A bigger role that students can take to be involved with the school board is to join CityWide Student Government. According to their Facebook page, the group’s goal is to “create a positive, respectful forum where students feel welcome to discuss their concerns and develop leadership skills”. More information about CityWide Student Government can be found here.

Four candidates are competing for two At Large seats. There are also three seats from Districts 1, 3 and 5.

Gagnon believes in, “strong schools, culturally relevant curriculum, safe and nurturing school environments, and a commitment to their academic achievement." Photo courtesy of: http://www.voterebeccagagnon.com

Rebecca Gagnon is a professional volunteer in the public schools. She is running for a second term on the school board, after winning the At Large seat in 2010. She believes that every child deserves “strong schools, culturally relevant curriculum, safe and nurturing school environments, and a commitment to their academic achievement”. Her website is http://www.voterebeccagagnon.com/

“We can no longer afford to have different expectations for different groups of kids.” Samuels stated. Photo courtesy of: http://www.donsamuelsforschoolboard.com/

Don Samuels has been on the Minneapolis City Council from 2003 to 2014. He is concerned with the achievement gap and that “We can no longer afford to have different expectations for different groups of kids.” Samuels ran for mayor last year. His website is donsamuelsforschoolboard.com

Ali has worked in policy and community outreach for many years, and is running for the District 3 seat. Photo courtesy of:    http://siadali.com/

Siad Ali is a father of four and works as Senior Constituent Advocate for Senator Amy Klobuchar. He has worked in policy and community outreach for many years, and is running for the District 3 seat. His website is siadali.com

“It surprised me that we could be having a discussion about the future of our schools and not give students a voice," Inez stated. Photo courtesy of: nelsoninz.org

Nelson Inz is a teacher currently at Great River Montessori school. He is a strong proponent of “student-centered education”. According to his website, his motivation for running came when he saw a school board convention without any students present. “It surprised me that we could be having a discussion about the future of our schools and not give students a voice”. He is running for the District 5 seat. His website is nelsoninz.org

eva106dgjennyarnesonJenny Arneson, from District 1, believes that “if we want to have a strong city we need to have strong schools.” She was elected on to the school board in 2011 and is seeking reelection this fall. She has a background in social work and community organizing, and is a strong advocate for urban schools. Her website is jennyarneson.com

eva106irisIris Altamirano is an experienced community and political organizer. She is currently on the Minneapolis Commission of Civil Rights, a group committed to “promote and protect the civil rights of the citizens of Minneapolis.” According to her website, Altamirano would like to be “the bridge-builder our district needs to truly empower all kids for success.” Her website is http://www.irisaltamirano.com/

Ira Jourdain works in human services and is currently employed at the Division of Indian Work in Minneapolis. He is a father of 4, including one son who is enrolled in South. According to his website, Jourdain believes it is essential that “all children have all the necessary resources in the classroom to succeed”. His website is irajourdain.orgVoting info and registration:

If you are a student that will be 18 by Tuesday, November 4, you can vote this election. If you haven’t voted in an election before, you need to register to vote. Voters are able to register online or through applications available at government offices, libraries, and parks. Voter registration is also available the day of the election at precincts. There are many resources on the Minneapolis Elections page to find more information about voting, including a polling place finder and information about other election candidates.