What’s the Deal With South Theater?

Izzy Spiess

Lead members of “Breaking The Code”, the last show to be performed in its entirety at South. Left to right: Liam Campbell, Logan Waugh, Izzy Spiess, and Ezra Gearhart.

Will Newell, Staff Writer

South High’s theater program has been a point of pride in past years, but covid has scaled back performances for the entire arts department. In the time since 2019, one production has done all of the shows they planned. Breaking the Code was performed in the fall, and Chicago was cut short after their opening night by the first lockdown in March 2020. Since then there have been only two shows. One of which was a small entirely virtual production of Sarah Ruhl’s take on the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice in the spring of 2021 that turned out remarkably well despite being shot entirely on Zoom. The second show, “Once on This Island,” was canceled halfway through rehearsal due to complications with the covid surge, conflict between actors, and the resignation of the director.

Yasemin Isaacs, the head costumer for South’s theater program and a member of the theater planning team, said that our theater program is coming back, even if it won’t be what it was in the pre-covid years. What we have in store for the coming months is a cabaret-type show. According to Isaacs it will function as a skill builder to pass on knowledge of theater and tech, and as an opportunity to gain experience in putting on a production, saying “It’s more for the students and people who come to see it and see it’s something they might be interested in”.

Isaacs stated that the show will be a series of unconnected scenes, each consisting of singing, dancing, acting, or a mix of the three. Any skill levels are welcome and just by coming to the audition you will be guaranteed a part, either on your own or as part of a group.

Auditions will be held this Wednesday, October 26 in the auditorium from 3 to 4:30 pm. Come prepared to sing 30 seconds of a song of your choice and learn a dance from the choreographer. Your song doesn’t have to be memorized, so you’re welcome to bring the words or music if it will help you.

The future of South’s theater program is in good hands. Covid has broken a lot of things but between Yasemin, the head costumer, Ms. Spring, the theater teacher, Eddie the auditorium manager, Brie the choreographer, and Victor Baltzer-Lovato, the head of props, South students have plenty of great role models to learn from and without a doubt we will be back to our old selves in no time.