Students Share Their Favorite Books

Eli Shimanski, Staff Writer

Reading can be a key to a different worlds and new adventures. It’s one of the most classic forms of entertainment and contrary to popular belief, a lot of high schoolers love to do it. There are so many great books and everyone has a favorite. These are some that students at South high would recommend for any readers. 

Antonai

One senior, Antonia Lowell recalled her affection for the book “What Happened to Lani Garver”. It follows a mysterious girl and as Lowell described it as “what happens when bullying goes too far.” She classified it as “realistic fiction or fantasy” and said that “it makes you think a lot, after you read it you have to sit down and think about it.”

Max

Freshmen Max Okagaki said that he enjoys the Patrick Rothfuss book “The Name of the Wind”. It’s a fantasy novel and the first book in “The Kingkiller Chronicles”. Okagaki said that he likes the story and would recommend it because “it’s a fun book to read”.

Viola

Sophomore Viola Onikoro-Arkell is a fan of the book “Mosquitoland” by David Arnold. It’s a coming of age tale about a 16 year old girl traveling from Mississippi to Ohio. She praised it saying that “it’s really funny but also talks about serious stuff.” and that it’s “pretty relatable”.

Gedion Olson, a junior here at South, talked about how he’s always liked the “Silverwings Series”. A trilogy that covers the adventures of a group of bat’s, which Olson likes saying that “most books are from the point of view of a human” and that “things we consider normal they look at differently”

Amber

Another junior, Amber Olvera-Whirlwind Horse, thinks that her favorite book is “Candy”. A book by Luke Davies which follows a heroin addict that falls in love.Olvera-Whirlwind Horse says that she likes it because “it’s short and very philosophical.” and said that “I recommend it if you need some optimism in your life.”