Composing strikes a chord with young musician

Bowing+his+cello+gently+Arthur+Campbell%2C+center+practices+in+Orchestra.+Campbell+plans+on+being+a+composer+in+the+future.+%E2%80%9CI+feel+like+this+year+has+been+kind+of+like+I%27ve+stepped+into+the+composing+world%E2%80%9D+he+explained.+
Bowing his cello gently Arthur Campbell, center practices in Orchestra. Campbell plans on being a composer in the future. “I feel like this year has been kind of like I've stepped into the composing world” he explained.

Livia Lund

Livia Lund

Livia Lund, Staff Writer

When someone hears the word composer, most people tend to think of Beethoven or Mozart. However, composers exist outside of classical music and the 1700s. Some can even be found here at South, such as Arthur Campbell, a friendly soft-spoken senior.

Being a composer can mean many things, from composing music for yourself to play, to arranging other already written music into new formations to just casual improvising with friends. Campbell explains his enjoyment saying, “I like exploring an idea kinda through music”.

Campbell began his music career at age five when he began piano lessons. At thirteen he began to explore the more improvisational aspects of composition, which is something he still enjoys today. “It doesn’t feel like composition,” Campbell says, “[I’m not] deciding things, things are just kind of happening”.

Most of the time however, writing composition is much more complicated than that. Eric Sayre, who teaches a music theory/composition class at South that Campbell is part of, explained, “[Composition is] just like any language, you have to get to know the workings of the language.” This particular language can include things such as the spelling of notes and chords and the ordering of scales and key signatures. To learn all the intricacies takes dedication and patience. It’s important to have “the willingness to sit and play the same two notes or four notes in a row and figure out why that sounds right or wrong,” said Sayre.

Another common composition obstacle getting to finish a started piece. “It’s a lot easier to say ‘Oh, this sounds nice and then forget about it,’” Campbell said.

That challenge is something that Sayre’s music theory class has helped Campbell with. The first composition assigned this year was a duet, each student writing music for two different instruments. “It felt like the first kind of real composition I had done,” Campbell said. “Having a deadline made me make a more finished project.”

Despite some of the challenges of composition Campbell still finds a lot of joy in it. “What’s really fun for me is when I feel like I can’t write things down fast enough,” Campbell explains, “That’s the best kind of zone”.

Inspiration for his compositions comes from multiple places for Campbell. “It’s about half like the artists I listen to and half like other people I know composing.” Some of those people are senior Sam Stroup and South graduate Charlie Lincoln who form the band “Yardang”. “It’s like ‘Oh, man these guys are in high school or just in college and they’re making really cool music.” said. “That’s really inspirational for me in terms of having me create stuff.”

For the next four months, you can catch Campbell in orchestra, jazz band or music theory class, playing the lows notes of a cello, keeping the rhythm of the song, and nodding his head to the beat. The future beyond that is a little more uncertain but with plans for music school next year, composition is certainly looking like a part of it. “I feel like this year has been kind of like I’ve stepped into the composing world”, Campbell expresses, “It feels like a more definite part of my life.”

Livia Lund, Editor In Chief

Livia Lund is in her 3rd year on the Southerner staff as Editor in Chief. Beginning as a Staff Writer her sophomore year, Lund took over the position of Features Editor her junior year and is now excited to fulfill her current position as Editor in Chief. Lund has great leadership skills and is very excited as always to get to meet and work with new people and learn new things. As well as holding a leadership position on the newspaper, Lund is also the President of Green Tigers, facilitating the environmental student group at South. Lund is very interested in newspaper and has a very personal connection: Not only was her dad a journalist but her brothers were also Southerner staff members!

In her free time, Lund likes to bike and is currently learning to sew in hopes that one day she will be able to make her own clothes. At South, Lund enjoys playing frisbee and is part of the cross country ski team. Lund is very easy-going and can always be found helping someone around South, and we are excited to welcome her as our new Editor in Chief.