South bikes towards better enviroment on Bike to School Day

Samara Adam

Photo: Samara Adam Green Tigers – South High’s environmental justice club – hands out waterbottles, bike lights and other donated prices to students who biked to school on Bike to School Day. “It’s really good that people get out there and save the environment” said senior Celina Barnett-Cashman.

Samara Adam, Staff Writer

“I wanna see more people bike to school” senior Marco Dregni, a member of green tigers and frequent biker said.

Last Wednesday, students and teachers were called to be more active for bike or walk to school day, an annual district wide event.

The cool, gloomy morning and risk of rain didn’t stop South students and teachers from biking or walking to school in the crisp morning air. As they arrived they were serenaded by our school’s live jazz band, an auditioned music group, playing lively music to celebrate the event.

Senior and Green Tigers member Marco Dregni hands a student biker a mystery Nickelodeon Universe pass on Bike to School Day. Isabel Strebe and Livia Lund, co-presidents of Green Tigers, are shown.
Photo: Samara Adam Senior and Green Tigers member Marco Dregni hands a student biker a mystery Nickelodeon Universe pass on Bike to School Day. Isabel Strebe and Livia Lund, co-presidents of Green Tigers, are shown.

Students in South’s environmental group, Green Tigers, were in charge of organizing and running this event. They stood at a table outside the front entrance and happily gave away free water bottles, bike lights and mystery tickets to Nickelodeon Universe to all bikers or walkers.

Some students had no idea it was bike to school day, but they still biked anyways. “There’s a good number of people who bike a lot” senior Isabel Strebe, co-president of Green Tigers, and one of the organizers of the event explained.  

According to Dregni, students in Green Tigers want to “try and convince more people to bike and walk to school”. They hope this day will help create good vibes about biking, and as Strebe said “raise awareness about the importance of biking”.

If you missed out on this event last Wednesday, but still want to participate in it this year, fear not! Dregni said that in the spring there is a week dedicated to biking to school with prizes and activities, and that “there’s a lot more people who come during that”.

Some students wished the event took place earlier in the year when the weather was warmer, and some mentioned a shortage of bike racks. Students such as Henry Holcomb, a sophomore at South, believe this event is “super great”, and according to Celina, “It’s really good that people get out there and save the environment”.