Retiring Tayler Hill’s Jersey

Tayler Hill attended the ceremony through skype, which was projected on a screen.

Photo Courtesy of Renee and Samantha Magney

Antonia Lowell, Staff Writer

Basketball player Tayler Hill has been big news this year after being picked fourth overall in the WNBA draft by the Washington Mystics. Now she’s become the first South student to have their high school jersey officially retired.

There was a small ceremony before last Friday’s game against Patrick Henry. The warm up music was paused and everyone crowded onto bleachers in front of a projector screen and a covered picture frame. Hill was there via a Skype call, and athletic director Mark Sanders emceed the event. Sanders and Hill’s South High coach, Ahmil Jihad, talked about the sort of player and person she was while at South. “When we talk about #3 . . . we’re talking about three things. Commitment, dedication, and support,” said Jihad.

South players Morgan Hill, Tayler Hill’s younger sister, and Lexis Hughes, a team captain, unveiled the #3 jersey. “It got a little wrinkled on the way over, but we’ll fix that later,” Sanders joked.

Hill said a few words about her time at South, and called it the “best school ever in the state of Minnesota.” She also showed off her baby bump, to loud cheers.

Her #3 jersey will probably be given to her family, according to Tony Stewart, the South assistant athletic director. A reproduction of it will hang in our gym.