Track Team Does Well at Cities

Gabe Steller, Staff Writer

The 2013 Cities Track meet was a very successful event for South High, with the Men’s track team taking second in the city and Girl’s taking  3rd, both out of 7 schools. The event took place at southwest.

The highlight of the South’s success came with the 4×4 mens relay team who destroyed their opponents to achieve a decisive victory. “We were 10 meters ahead the whole time” said junior Jackson Kendall who attributes the win to hard work put in by his team.

Other wins included Eric Nelson who was first in the triple jump, Audrey Franchett first in 110 hurdles Hamdi  Hamdinho beat out the competition for the open 800.

T’nia Rilay, a student who does not attend south and is in only 7th grade, won the 100 and 200 meter dashes, runnin a state qualifying time as well as breaking the south record for the 200 meter dash.

Next for South track was Sections were they faced such teams as Hopkins Wayzata and other giants of suburbia. However, Kendall remained confident before the meet,  “I hope we’ll do well and i expect us to do well.” Sections was held on may 28th and may 30th, a two part meet. Unfortunately South did not do as well but will continue to work hard next year.