Wrestlers city champions seven years running

Ben Devore, Staff Writer

“This is our seventh year in a row winning the city conference,” said South senior and captain of the wrestling team Brett Peterson, “usually South has no competition, we win easily, but this year Henry gave us some competition.”

After six “easy” wins, as most South wrestlers would put it, the City Conference Championships presents no challenge to the South high wrestling team.  But the history of success did not ease the rigor of training during the season.

“We actually buckled down this year,” Peterson continued, “last year we saw a lot of seniors leave so this year we didn’t think we would have that many people but the freshmen really stepped up and helped us through the conference.”

Even with the new freshmen the wrestling team still felt their lack of seniors earlier this season when St. Paul Central, a school that in the past has been no challenge to the South wrestlers, beat them.

While this loss was discouraging Peterson says it gave the team a goal to work toward for the city conference, “Losing to St. Paul earlier in the year motivated us to work harder, we felt we didn’t do very well against them before so we worked hard and beat them in the conference.”

So with a seventh city conference win under their belt the South wrestling team has proven, even with a lack of players, they are the best in the city.