Nordic skiers compete at state competition

Frances Matejcek, Staff Writer

On February 8th, during Sections at  Theodore Wirth Park, four South students made it to state in Cross Country skiing. While none placed high at State on February 14th, all thoroughly enjoyed their season.

Carly Eckstrom, a sophomore, placed 13th overall at sections and 5th among the girls. She reflected on her year, and said “I was really proud of my season and I thought it went really well, and I was really proud of myself for making so much improvement.”

Eckstrom found that state  “…was a really great opportunity, it was really interesting to go up there and see the best skiers skiing, and it was really fun to experience it myself.”

Jojo Baldus, a sophomore who placed 10th at sections, summed the whole experience up. “It went wonderfully.” He added “hopefully we’ll be able to go as a team next year, and to know what you’re getting yourself into is good.”

All of the skiers who went to state are optimistic about next year, and looking forward to a good team. “We have a young team, and we’ll definitely have the chance to keep building it [next year]” said Eckstrom.

Eckstrom was the only girl from South at state, and she hoped next year the team would “work on the girls [team] to make us all stronger…Hopefully next year we’ll get more girls to state.”

Juniors Sam Coady and Tyler Thomegreen also made it to state. Coady placed 6th at sections and Thomegreen placed 9th.

Frances Matejcek, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Hello! I am Frances Matejcek and I am a senior at South. I hold the titles of both Arts and Entertainment Editor and Social Media Editor on the Southerner....