Three talented students earn our vote for Southerner Star Athletes

Elliot Cassutt is one South athlete who’s turning heads this year. As a sophomore, it’s only Cassut’s second year on the varsity men’s soccer team but he’s already broken two state records. He holds the record for most goals scored in a season, 44, and most points (goals plus assists) in a season with 65. The new record set by Cassutt beat out three players who were tied with the old record of 35 goals. According to the Star Tribune website, Cassutt has scored 44 out of 121 of the team’s total goals, well over a third of the total. The record doesn’t include two additional goals he scored in post-season play.

Cassutt’s athletic performance on the field is certainly something to highlight. It’s safe to say that Cassutt played a large role in the success of the men’s soccer team this year. “He’s [had] a memorable season,” said head coach Tamba Johnson, “Player’s like that don’t come around often.” Cassutt also appears to be  team player and one that many other players look up to. Senior captain Mitchell Erickson commented, “Elliot is the kid who’s autograph will actually be worth something someday.” At only 15-years old and with two more years to contribute, Cassutt’s best may still be yet to come.

Elliott Cassutt
Lamarr Sullivan
Lamarr Sullivan

Lamarr Sullivan has been playing football since fourth grade and has played all four years at South. Not only has Sullivan been South’s leading rusher all season, but he has also been one of the top rushers in the whole metro. According to the Star Tribune website, Sullivan is the third leading rusher in Minneapolis. He is also ranked in the top 50 of the state’s leading rushers. These rankings come from his 647 total yards in 6 games and an average of 6.6 yards per carry. During the homecoming game against Southwest on October 1, Sullivan ran for 199 yards, almost a third of his total rushing yards.

Not only is Sullivan an honorable athlete due to his impressive athletic talent, but he should be recognized for his leadership as well. This year, Sullivan is a captain and seems to be a figure that many teammates look up to. “[Sullivan] sets examples on and off the field,” said fellow teammate and junior Charlie Metcalf. His work ethic most also be noted as a characteristic that makes Sullivan a star athlete. According to head coach Lenny Sedlock,

“Lamarr has worked hard all season long to make him one of our top players.”

Senior Allie Myren played one year of varsity soccer at Southwest before transferring to South. She has been a critical asset to South women’s soccer by contributing three years of varsity play, serving two of those years as a captain. Over the summer, Myren injured her knee in a soccer game and was unable to play with her summer team, Minneapolis United, when they won the USA Cup. “[Myren] has come a long way since her injury,” said co-captain and senior Alex Slezak. Although Myren didn’t think she would be able to play this season, her knee has “not fully healed but is a lot better,” she commented.

Allie Myren

An injury doesn’t seem to stop Myren, though, in leading her team. “[Myren] anchors our midfield with top notch technical abilities and a fierce, competitive drive,” commented head coach Lawrence Tsoi. Myren displayed her “fierce, competitive drive” and her leadership qualities when she scored all three goals in South’s 3-0 win over rival Southwest on October 2. After this performance, she was named as one of the Star Tibune’s “Athletes of the Week”. This honor seems to be well-deserved as Slezak commented, “[Myren] has a lot of passion for the game and she contributes to the team by the way she plays and helps out the team.”

Southerner star athletes are chosen by the Southerner staff. When choosing an athlete, factors that are taken into consideration are: leadership qualities on and off the field, athletic performance on the field, and athletes who exceed the expectations of a typical high school, varsity athlete. If you want to nominate someone to be a Southerner star athlete, please contact us at [email protected].