Consumer power remains alive and strong

There are many people today who argue that big business will do continue to do what they do, and the consumer has no control. This is a common argument when talking about a company’s ethics, but it fails to address the concept of supply and demand. With the push for more organic foods and other demands that consumers want today, more businesses are changing to fit the needs of their customers.

In 2006, Wal-Mart announced that they would be selling more organic products in their Supermarkets. Wal-Mart Inc did so because their is a high demand of having more organic products being sold.

Wal-Mart happens to be the largest grocery chain in the United States. Even though the store is the biggest company in the grocery industry, it still listens to the customer. The reason Wal-Mart chose to go with more organic products in its stores was not probably not because they personally wanted too. They did it to attract more urban and Eco-friendly shoppers.

The Urban and Eco-Friendly shopper that Wal-Mart is targeting has made other grocery options to grow. Some examples would be Whole Foods, Local Co-Ops, and farmers’ markets. These are growing more each year because consumers are looking more at the health and ethical benefits of food and other products than in the past.

There are some who say that with the commercials on television, people are convinced what to buy. But the truth is that consumers are the influence, not the stores. Businesses don’t sell products that consumers don’t want. If they did, they would go out of business.

One example would be the British Royal Wedding between Prince William and Catherine Middleton. There are a lot of people around the world who will be watching the wedding on television. Because the the popularity of the couple, various companies have decided to sell mugs, plates, and saucers with Middleton’s and the Prince’s face on them. Some businesses are even sell replicas of Middletons engagement ring and the dress she wore when the couple announced their engagement. This all might seem silly, but it’s what people want.

Back to Wal-Mart, it’s great they’ve started selling organics. While it might be unfortunate for othe businesses, this allows more people to gain access to health foos. “I like the idea of it – Wal-Mart being organic,” said senior Emily Kohagura. As an avid shopper of Trader Joe;s, Kohagura prefers i to there “because it is organic.” However Kohagura admits to seeing a trend of companies adjusting to become more organic conscience.

With Wal-Mart going more organic, and the The Royal couple’s faces on dishes, it is clear that consumer power is alive and strong. A business cannot grow without a high demand. The saying is true: the customer is always right.