YeaMN to host workshop at South

YeaMN to host workshop at South

Erika Roedl, Features Editor

“Climate change 101.” That’s what Siiri Bigalke, co-chair of Youth Environmental Activists of Minnesota (YeaMN) called the Youth Activism Workshop they are having Saturday, Nov. 13, noon to 5pm. It’s their first meeting of the year, and this meeting’s theme is to teach and get people involved, said Bigalke. There will be presentations aimed at recruiting people for programs like Community Gardening, Urban Chickens, and South’s own Green Tigers. Green Tigers, YeaMN, and others are working with Alliance for Sustainability (AFS) to hold the Neighborhood Sustainability Networking Fair on Saturday. AFS works on outreach and projects to help communities reduce their environmental impact and “inspire people to take practical action, creating an unstoppable force for sustainability,” according to their website, www.afors.org. Sean Gosiewsi, the Program Director for AFS, said the Fair is a great way for students to find out how they can get involved whether that be with Green Tigers or out in their community. This is where they can meet adults involved protecting the environment, “to make the neighborhood stronger, so we can become more self-reliant.” Also at the Fair will be author, educator, and journalist Richard Heinberg. His presentation, “Preparing Together for a Changed World,” is scheduled for 1pm Saturday.