Ohio woman lies about district, CSO plan causes similar problems

On January 26, in Akron, OH, a mother was convicted for falsifying documents in order to get her kids into a school district so her son could go to a better school, according to CNN.

In the state of Ohio there is no open enrollment which means students must attend the school district of where they live, according to the Ohio department of education. The Ohio mother said that her two daughters lived in Copley-Fairlawn City School district area, when the really lived in the Akron City school district area. She reportedly said that she falsified the documents in order to get her children into a better school district.

In the state of Minnesota there is open enrollment. Open enrollment was created in 1988; it allows public school students the opportunity to apply to attend school outside the district in which they live.

The state does allow for schools to limit which programs are open enrollment and which are not. With the CSO plan, schools do not have to provide transportation to students outside the district, so the CSO plan is within the rights of the district.

Also, in Minnesota there are certain reasons why a public school district can limit open enrollment, things such a expulsion and missing the mandatory January 15 deadline. But a school district can not refuse acceptance to a school district for reasons like academic achievement, gender and disabilities.

According to the Minnesota Department of Education’s website, districts can close school sites and programs within school sites to open enrollment.

“I think that people should go to the schools that they want to,” said junior Mary Metchnek,
“what happened in Ohio shouldn’t be allowed to happen anywhere, it is sad.” Metchnek said that she also lives in Minneapolis but does not get a bus to school even though she is the open program.

Freshman Shacni Hussin from St. Louis Park High School says that her school has open enrollment to students outside the district. They also provide busing to students outside the district, unlike Minneapolis Public Schools. “I like that anyone gets to go to my school and that they can get a ride there even though they don’t live in St. Louis Park.” said Hussin. “I have friends who go to Minneapolis Public Schools and some get buses but most do not.”

Freshman Mahad Hassan goes to Richfield High School but lives in Minneapolis. Hassan said that he thinks that he has a better opportunity for a good education going to a suburban school. “My school is a great one and it was what I wanted in a school, it’s also cool that I get a bus to go all the way out there.” said Hassan.

Sophomore Hodo Ibrahim recently move to Brooklyn Park. She attends South but she doesn’t get a bus. “Even when I lived in Minneapolis I still didn’t get a bus because I lived to close, and now I live farther and I still don’t get a bus. Nothing is good enough for Minneapolis Public Schools,” Ibrahim laughed.