Competition is redefined in Northern Indigenous Games

Emma Pederson, Opinions and Social Media Editor

Graphic: Emma Pederson
Graphic: Emma Pederson

If you ever exit the school through the doors by the snack shack, you’ll notice that every Tuesday and Thursday, students and teachers begin to warm up to play the Creator’s game, the traditional version of lacrosse. Or perhaps you see students throughout the day, carrying their lacrosse sticks, some of them woven with the South High shoe strings Mr. Aponte gave us his first year here.

The Creator’s game has become a crucial part of the South High community, specifically to students and staff in the All Nations program. As junior Breanna Green described in an interview for a previous Southerner article, “‘Creator’s game brings together All Nations staff and students” the Creator’s game is a part of her culture and a way to connect with her peers. She said, “It’s healing, community, tradition and wellness.”

Coming up this April, all South High students, elementary and middle schools students, and members of the community will have an unique chance to learn about games like the Creator’s game and much more. Hosted by Honor the Earth, an organization dedicated to empowering the Native American community and advocating for Native issues, the Northern Indigenous Games will take place at South High on April 16th and 17th. This event is open to everyone at South and the community.

Vince Patton, one of the All Nations teachers here at South worked with Dan Ninham to get the games at South High. Dan Ninham, a physical education and health teacher at Bemidji High School, got the idea for the games last year. Patton considers Ninham to be an elder, and especially knowledgeable about Indigenous games and physical education.

Patton said, “That was where this all started from, lacrosse.” He talked about how Dan Ninham’s first “pet project” was to introduce traditional lacrosse to students and Native communities. “After so many times of showing lacrosse, he realized that other people wanted different sports,” commented Patton.

Dan Ninham described his inspiration and process for developing this event in an email interview. He wrote,“The Northern Indigenous Games concept began last year when my wife and I travelled throughout Indian Country in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan. We encouraged the same Indigenous games played by the Indigenous people that we are focusing on this April.”

Games such as Ojibwe Lacrosse, Crow Arrows, Navajo running, and Cree Double ball will be taught and played. Not only does Ninham hope to repopularize these Indigenous games, he hopes to “showcase the indigenous thought processes and cultural behaviors of the indigenous games.” These games will be an invaluable learning opportunity for students, but it will also be a unique chance for teachers to strengthen their own knowledge.Patton described how teachers will have the chance to be “certified” in teaching these games.

“Indigenous games have connections to worldviews and respective lessons in how we think, play and behave,” said Ninham. “For example, the traditional lacrosse game is played for various reasons and also is used as a medicine game. All games are given to us by the Creator thus are called the Creator’s Games to be played for the Creator’s amusement and honor.”

Bringing back traditional ways and beliefs is central to empowering the community and emphasizing healthy lifestyles. “[The event] allows me to reconnect with different healthy living strategies and healthy living activities,” Patton laughed, “My dad bod’s getting too strong.” He emphasized that the games are a way to engulf students in traditional games “while promoting a healthy lifestyle…from eating right to drug use.”

All Nations junior Edward Roberts is one South student you should look out for at the Northern Indigenous Games. He plays basketball for South High and also participates in traditional lacrosse. He told me he’s excited to gain new experiences and to learn different games. “I feel like [Native Americans] are losing our way, so keep on teaching us how to play it and then we can just keep it going down the line,” he said.

Humility, respect and teamwork will be competition: redefined at the Northern Indigenous Games. Patton said, “Traditionally these games were not as ‘competitive’ but these are very competitive games. It wasn’t so much about being the best but maybe helping out your teammate the most… Are you going to be able to throw that double ball the farthest?”  The games veer from what we tend to think of as competition, because it isn’t for your own personal gain, but for the betterment of the community and your team.

Different games will be played on Saturday April 16th and Sunday the 17th. Saturday’s games will include Shinny, Inuit Games, Long Ball, and Navajo Running. Sunday’s games include Lacrosse, Double Ball, Crows  Arrows and Navajo Running. Several modern day popular games such as hockey, lacrosse and many track and field games imitate Indigenous games like Shinny, Creator’s game, and Inuit Games.

Pre-registration for the games in required to participate and registration is due by April 15th. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to take advantage of this unique learning opportunity, as Patton expressed in his interview. It is free.  After the games, there will be a symposium held in the South High auditorium about Indigenous Games of Life.