NHS Coat Drive Aims to Curb the Effects of a Harsh Winter

Andrew Godes

Juniors Ella Tennant and Miguel Gibneik setting up the winter drive donation box.

Andrew Godes, Staff Writer

With the winter months coming, it’s crucial for South students to have adequate warm clothing. In an effort to fulfill this need, a group of thirteen students from the National Honor Society (NHS) have started a schoolwide clothing drive. They are specifically seeking to help low income students and their families. NHS drive organizer Miguel Gibneik stated “We hope to ensure that our classmates aren’t disproportionately impacted by the upcoming [winter] conditions.” 

Clothing donations will be accepted until November 20, 2022. They can be made at the drop boxes which are found in every science classroom. Drive organizer Ella Tennant touched on the amount of donations coming in, saying, “So far the assortment of donations is strong. We’ve seen a lot of waterproof shoes such as Keens, but are hoping to receive more jackets, gloves, wool socks [new in the package] and boots.” 

After the deadline, the clothes will be collected and made available to students as soon as November 21st. For those interested, they can be acquired from the closet in the head social worker office located in room 218.

In previous years students have been forced to stay home on very cold days. They weren’t inclined to put their health at risk on the commute to and from school. Giebink remarked, “We’re hoping to prevent this because it’s vitally important for students from low income backgrounds to have good attendance… Hopefully the [clothing] drive will alleviate some of the pressure and provide a little security for our peers.” Hopefully the drive will put a dent in student inequality, albeit one coat at a time.