Despite Teacher’s Leave, APUSH Class Continues

Abby Gaul, the student teacher currently substituting fo FitGerald, works with students in class. She will be subbing until a more long-term replacement is found.

Elise Sommers

Ben DeVore, Web Editor

When students arrived in Brian FitzGerald’s classroom on Monday November 4th, a sub had taken his place. Unfortunately FitzGerald was not temporarily sick, or out of town or temporarily gone at all.

“He student taught here in ’98, he was my long term sub here when I was on maternity leave,” said Social Studies teacher Laura Lanik, “he’s spent his whole career here.”

FitzGerald left Friday November 1st without telling a student or teacher why he was leaving, “he just packed up, said goodbye to us teachers and left,” Lanik continued. Currently a temporary teacher, Abby Gaul, is substituting for FitzGerald’s class, but a permanent replacement will be found soon. Lanik feels that the class will not fall behind. “It’s an AP curriculum, we have three other AP teachers in the building, they try to align the curriculum and will help any subs with Fitz’s class,” reassured Lanik.

South teachers are working on finding a yearlong replacement. “We’re doing interviews for long term subs, and current subs will be candidates as well,” said Lanik, “it will be the priority of whoever is hired to get their students to pass the AP test and be an overall good teacher.

About the Contributors
Ben DeVore, News and Web Editor

Hello, my name's Ben and I'm the news/web editor of the Southerner. I am also a senior. I like being on the newspaper because it's fun and exciting. In...

Elise Sommers, Editor-in-Chief

My name is Elise Sommers, and I am the Editor-in-Chief at the Southerner. I am a senior at South. The teamwork of all of us contributing and working to...