Introducing South High’s Podcast Club!

Maya Edmonds

South’s new Podcast Club is up and running! “I know that personally I’m tired of all of the injustice in the world and I wanted to have a chance to speak out about it, because adults are always like, ‘You don’t know what you’re talking about,’ so I want to have a place to talk [about] my perspective,” said Dana Walker, the founder of the club.

Maya Edmonds, Staff Writer

Have you ever wanted to know about current topics and issues from South’s perspective without having to actually read anything? If so, South’s new podcast club is perfect for you! The founder Dana Walker, a sophomore at South, is looking forward to making a platform for South students to speak their mind.

“I know that personally I’m tired of all of the injustice in the world and I wanted to have a chance to speak out about it, because adults are always like, ‘You don’t know what you’re talking about,’ so I want to have a place to talk [about] my perspective,” said Walker

The podcast is going to vary in topics, from issues near South to worldwide. The club is going to record themselves giving their perspectives, but also welcomes other people to give their opinions as well. Walker thinks this club will create opportunity for important and necessary conversation.

“We decided our first topic of this podcast will be the topic of impeachment with Trump because that’s a hot topic, but I had also made another list of ideas before the club started,” explained Walker. Other topics Walker is interested in writing about are things like what’s happening in Hong Kong, the Amazon rainforest burning, police brutality and LGBTQ rights.

Not only will this club move students to have relevant conversations, but it may also educate students on topics they might not otherwise have known about. “I think [this club] will give South students more knowledge about what’s happening in the world and how its affecting us,” states Joshua Hoffman, sophomore and new member of the South High Podcast club.

“I decided to join because I always wanted to join a podcast club and I’ve always wanted to make my own podcast and this was just a window of opportunity for me,” said Hoffman.

Podcasts can be an overlooked form of media but are making a comeback and can be a very productive way to take in information. Because all you have to do is lend an ear, podcasts can be listened to while you do other things at the same time, which make them a great way to get more knowledge on a topic.

“I feel like podcasts are getting more popular in today’s society so if we start communicating all this stuff through podcasts then people are going to start knowing more about it,” said Hoffman.

Although this club is very new and is still trying to find the best resources to use for its podcasts, they are currently using a program called Soundtrap to record. They are hoping to make their own website to post their latest podcasts. When finished you can also find the episodes on the South High page.

“We are making a website on Google Sites and we are going to find a way to get it on there…Whether we post it on Soundcloud or the iTunes store we are not sure yet,” described Walker.

The club meets every Thursday and Friday in either Ms Lanik’s room or the Media Center. If you are interested go check it out! Let the world hear what South students have to say!