Music program recovers from Carter’s departure

Music program recovers from Carters departure

Eveline Murphy-Wilson, Staff Writer

After Scott Carter’s resignation last spring, the South band was left leaderless.  Many students who chose to attend South High School for the purpose of participating in the music program held a common question: “what’s next?”

Getting the bands rolling this year was Mr. Dennis Malmberg.  Malmberg was the band director before Carter and built a significant amount of the band’s foundation. This included establishing the annual band trip, and South’s two jazz bands .

This year’s new musicians have known nothing but the direction of Mr. Malmberg. Freshman Sage Hagans, a trumpet player in concert band, is one of the many.  Hagans commented on how smoothly the band functions and complimented the fact that Mr. Malmberg had the musicians playing on day two.

Hagans had noticed no unusual chaos regarding the loss of Mr. Carter and even commented “part of being a musician is being able to adapt.”

Adapting is no worry for the band students. “Students are motivated enough by music” said senior Audrey Goodnight, the president of the band. She is confident that Eric Sayre, South’s band director to-be, will be good for the job.

Goodnight knows Sayre from his work with the jazz band in the past.  “He won’t be intimidated,” stated Goodnight.

Sayre said in an email interview that he is, “Excited to keep that standard of excellence.” Carter built for the bands.

As the “new guy” he plans on staying away from any drastic change for the band.  “There are many moving pieces to a band program, and at the onset of a year, it is tough to know how changes can affect your program in the long run.” Sayre explained.

Through the abundance of change our band has been through, Sayre will bring an empathetic dedication to South’s young musicians.  He believes in the positive change music can bring to a child and is excited to help his students make achievements with the help of music.

“I loved feeling a part of something bigger than myself.  I want to create a program that students of all backgrounds can find a home in.” said Sayre.

Sayre recalls of his love for music as a child, “I loved playing musicals in high school: one on a part, more advanced rhythms and key signatures, and the varying styles, really kept me on my toes!”  In music, he found himself being able to make a difference in the community; “through music I create closer relationships, have a greater impact, and discover deeper meaning in my life.” Mr. Sayre explained.

Sayre hopes to keep the respected band community in tact; South High’s band is looking to a new leader with high expectations and dreams for his musicians.

“I am extremely excited to teach band and jazz at South.  South has great students, great faculty, and a supportive administration for the arts.  How could it get any better?” concluded Sayre.